Gold mining started in earnest in the district west of Vredefort, close to the Vaal River (Schoeman's Drift) during the 1880's. Rich gold bearing banket reefs were discovered running through three farms, the most notable being Lindesquefontein farm. This attracted the attention of what became known as the Philippolis Lindequesfontein Gold Company, the Philippolis Gold Mining Company and a further syndicate from Kroonstad (1886). The Free State Government proclaimed the Lindequesfontein farm a public digging, 1887, which then became known as the Lindequesfontein Gold Fields.
The gold mining slump of the 1890's affected these gold fields as it did the Transvaal, and claims were abandoned, the Lindequesfontein farm de-proclaimed. In december of 1904 the farm was once again proclaimed, swept along by the tide of renewed prospecting operations in the Vredefort district.
New gold mining concerns emerged from the post Boer War aftermath; Orangia Main Reef Limited, Vaal Rand Mines, New Discovery and New Rand Limited.
In this age of 'gold fever', Dr Carrick became involved with A.R. Sawyer discovering payable gold on the re-proclaimed Lindequesfontein farm. Jack Carrick perished on the Waratah, just 24 years old, in the bloom of his career and riding the wave of exciting new gold discoveries in the Free State.