Wednesday, 20 January 2016


J. & C. Harrison

The brothers John and Charles Harrison started a business in London in 1888 by buying two old steamers for the coal trade. In 1889 and 1890 another two colliers were purchased.
In 1891 the first new builds, the HARLYN (1) joined the fleet, she was followed by four new colliers between 1893 and 1895.

In 1896 an amalgamation of four collier owning fleets including the fleet of J. & C. Harrison took place and several colliers went to Wm. Cory & Sons Ltd including new ships which had been ordered but not yet delivered during 1896 and 1897 by J. & C. Harrison. Several steamers were ordered for delivery during 1897 and 1898 and they were all sold by the turn of the century and the fleet was then dormant for five years during a bad freight market.

In 1904 the new tramp HARCALO (2) was delivered to J. & C. Harrison and was followed by nine more steamers during 1905 and 1906.

J. & C. Harrison started a subsidiary Harrisons (London) Ltd and returned to owning colliers just before the First World War and by 1918 three colliers were owned (HARDEN, 1912, HARLOW, 1915 and HARLECH 1914). The latter was lost in 1924 by which time she was under Harrison’s (London) Collliers Ltd, which had been formed in 1919. The fleet remained small with the prefix HAR names and were sold of by the early 1940s.

Harlow (2) 1902 Short Bros., Pallion Ex Sagami, 1907 purchased from Common Brothers renamed Harlow, 1913 sold to Lloyd del Pacifico renamed Amista, 1932 scrapped at Savona. 


No comments: