Period newspaper extract:
"It is a singular coincidence that both Mr
Hodder and Mr Hunter, chief and second
engineers of the Waratah should have previously
been associated in similar positions
on the Wilcannia. After leaving the
Wilcannia, Mr Hodder accepted an appointment
on shore, but subsequently gave it
up to take charge of the Waratah s engines,
with Mr Hunter as his chief associate."
A cruel twist of fate.
The Wilcannia, 4953 tons, was built in 1899. When the Blue Anchor Line folded she was one of five ships sold to the P&O Line. In 1913 she was sold to Japan and renamed Shinkoku Maru.