Monday, 22 May 2017
FIRE IN STATE ROOM.
The Mercury, Hobart, 10 February, 1900.
FIRE ON A STEAMER.
A serious outbreak of fire occurred on
board the steamer Kallatlna, lying at
South Grafton, early on the morning of
the 6th inst. The fire broke out in one of
the state cabins and before it was detected
it had completely destroyed the cabin, and
was spreading across the saloon to the
cabins on the opposite side of the vessel,
when it was noticed by Captain Magee,
the smoke penetrating to his cabin on the
main deck. He quickly aroused the crew,
but it was only after hard work that they
got the upper band of the flames. Had
the fire remained undetected another half
hour the probabilities are that the vessel
would have been burnt to the water's
edge. A good deal of the cabin fittings,
bedding, etc., was destroyed.
An uncommon source of fire, but destructive nonetheless.
ANDREW VAN RENSBURG
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)